Simple ideas for giving to the genetics community today
In this exhausting year, #GivingTuesday might be the last thing on your mind. But when so many people are hurting, even small acts of generosity can make a difference.
Check out some of our ideas for small (and big) ways you can help the genetics community today and any other day. Please share your own suggestions on social media using #GSAGivingTogether and let us know how you are giving back and why!
- Tell an early career scientist from a historically excluded group about the Presidential Membership Initiative.
- Tell your students/colleagues why you appreciate them and remind them of their achievements.
- Share a recent paper that you admire on social media.
- Nominate a colleague for an award or leadership position.
- Voice your support for a cause you believe in. Don’t forget to include suggestions for how people can take action to help!
- Volunteer for a science outreach organization.
- Ask your colleagues and lab members about their challenges and listen carefully.
- Think of a practical way you can help a colleague who is struggling. Maybe you could order them dinner, offer to take on one of their regular tasks, provide editing and reviewing help on drafts, or connect them with someone else who can help.
- Donate to your professional society or another organization that supports science and scientists.
When you donate to GSA’s Fundraising Appeal you help GSA grow its cornerstone programs and projects: travel awards, career development programs, journals, and conferences. Your donation also enables new initiatives promoting equity and inclusion, public engagement, online workshops, and more.
Just want to make a quick donation?
Don’t forget that your generosity can inspire others! Multiply your gift by sharing your reasons for giving on social media using #GSAGivingTogether.